Iron Tortilla Press 19cm
A tortilla press is a simple kitchen tool that uses leverage to press a ball of dough (called "masa" in Spanish) into a tortilla. As an alternative to a rolling pin, this method is much quicker, makes less mess and produces tortillas that are uniform. Tortillas are pressed out between sheets of plastic or baking paper.
While using a tortilla press does make your homemade tortillas look more store bought, it also makes them easier to cook. Since the press gives the tortilla a uniform thickness, it will cook more evenly. This also makes it less likely to crack or fall apart.
How to use a tortilla press:
- Prepare your masa as per package instructions.
- Break off pieces of masa and roll them into golf sized balls.
- Place a piece of heavy plastic wrap on the tortilla press, put a masa ball onto the center of the tortilla press and cover it with another piece of heavy plastic wrap.
- Bring down the top of the tortilla press and push the handle down.
- Open the press and carefully remove the plastic wrap from the top of the tortilla masa.
- Slide your hand under the tortilla and flip it over onto your other hand. This makes it easier to remove the plastic wrap.
- Repeat the process until you have made tortillas from all of the masa.
Country of Origin: Mexico
Net Weight: 2.4kg